Monday, September 10, 2012

More on Turtle Island Poems


This time when I was going through the book, I decided to skip to different sections of the book, instead of reading the poems in order. Each poem is different in certain ways, but essentially they are all concentrated around bioregionalism. The reader is able to clearly tell how much Gary Snyder focuses on environmental issues and it highlights how much he cares about the earth and especially nature. I think it is important how descriptive each of his poems is. It helps the reader understand how important the place Snyder describes is and it helps you see the place in a clear view. To me it seems that Snyder reflects back to earlier, more natural times in his poems and wants readers to give more thought to those times before we began to mess up the environment so greatly.

1 comment:

  1. Just realized I commented on the wrong post. This post relates well to my experience with reading Turtle Island. I too have found most of his poems center on themes of Environmentalism, the key difference being the place/people/thing that is the object of the poem.

    ReplyDelete